Making salad dressing at home is quick and inexpensive. Most dressings use basic pantry ingredients that you most likely already have on hand. I love this dressing because it’s creamy without adding mayonnaise or dairy.
This dressing goes particularly well on salads that contain fruit. Here are some ideas:
- peaches or nectarines
I also love adding a candied nut or seed like pecans, walnuts, almonds, or pumpkin seeds for a sweet and salty crunch. Toasting and candying nuts takes only a few minutes.Jump to Recipe
How to Candy Nuts and Seeds
- Toast the nuts or seeds (1 cup) in a skillet over medium heat, tossing constantly so they don’t burn.
- Add a bit of butter to coat. (2 Tbsp)
- Add brown sugar. (2 Tbsp)
- Toss until nuts are coated and sugar is melted.
- Pour out onto parchment paper, spreading out the nuts in one layer.
- Sprinkle with Jay’s Spice or salt.
- Let cool before topping your salad.
Poppy Seed Dressing
A creamy dressing without the dairy that uses pantry ingredients.
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. onion flakes
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
Combine all ingredients in the cup for an immersion blender or a blender.
Blend until creamy.
Serve over salad containing fresh fruit and candied nuts.